20TH EDITION OF THE NIGERIAN POLYTECHNIC GAMES (NIPOGA 2018)
The Nigerian Polytechnic Games (NIPOGA) is the umbrella body of the sports clubs of Federal, States and private Polytechnics in Nigeria. It was borne out of consensus agreement by stakeholders to organise sporting competition amongst all accredited Nigerian Polytechnics and Colleges of Technology in Nigeria.
It is an annual tournament event inaugurated on 10th April, 1976 with the aim of promoting mental alertness and physical fitness of Polytechnic Students through competitive sporting activities with the following objectives:
- To ensure peaceful co-existence among Nigerians.
- To discover and nurture sporting talents for National assignments.
- To build friendship among Nigeria Polytechnics and Colleges of Technology
- To maintain and sustain physically fit and mentally alert youths in Nigeria.
This idea premiered since 1976 with the following Polytechnics hosting the NIPOGA in their respective Institutions.
- Football – male and female
- Basketball – male and female
- Lawn Tennis – male and female
- Badminton – male and female
- Volleyball – male and female
- Table Tennis – male and female
- Judo – male and female
- Hockey – male and female
- Draught – male and female
- Athletics (field and track) – male and female
- Chess – male and female
- Squash – male and female
- Scrabble – male and female
- Taekwondo – male and female
- Handball – male and female
BENEFITS OF THE GAMES
- Promote physical fitness and mental health among youths in Nigeria.
- It will serve as a platform to build social, cultural, and political bridges of unity and maintain harmonious relationship in Nigeria.
- Draw government and citizens’ attention to the benefits of investing in youths, and generate sponsorship for talented Nigerian youths in and out of the country.